Don't miss any of the awesome programs available for children at Wilkes County Public Library. Check out our online calendar, or stop by any desk at the library and pick up a copy of our calendar.
Tuesdays at 11 a.m.
Stories, songs, and crafts for preschoolers.
Music and Movement
Wednesdays at 11 a.m.
Following our Alphabet Ready by 5 curriculum, this program incorporates of singing, gross motor function (MOVEMENT!), dancing, and loads of fun.
Thursdays at 11 a.m.
It's never too early to introduce literacy to your little one. Incorporating rhyme, finger plays, stories, and songs- this program is perfect for babies and toddles up to age 2.
Children who have read their first book in the presence of a librarian or teacher are invited to celebrate by ringing our Literacy Triangle. The ringing of the triangle takes place the third Monday of the month from 5:30 p.m-6:30 p.m. For more information, please contact our Youth Services staff.
Look for Wilkes County StoryWalks at the W. Kerr Scott Dam & Reservoir. Storywalks can be found at various locations throughout the region.
Kindles and Ebooks for Kids
Our Kindles are designed just for reading, which means your family can lose themselves in a good book rather than become distracted by videos or games. From timeless classics to popular new titles, our Kindles have the books that will unleash your child's imagination as they discover their love of reading. Ask for them at the circulation desk.
The NC Digital Library is now available. Here's how it works!
- A beginning collection of 3029 eBooks, 689 audiobooks and 37 streaming videos on a custom website, http://nckids.overdrive.com or through the OverDrive app.
- 300 titles are available with simultaneous access, available anytime with no wait lists.
All titles can be accessed via the app on all major computers and devices, including iOS®, Android™, Chromebook™ and Kindle® (U.S. only).
Easy, secure access. All that's needed to get started is a library card. Select Appalachian Regional Library as your sign in library.
Staff members at the Youth Services desk are always ready and willing to help you locate an item, get started on an assignment or find out more about a topic.
Computers for children under the age of thirteen and for parents accompanied by children are available in the Youth Services department. Children can use their own library card to log on or parents may request a guest pass for their child. Parents must keep their child(ren) in view when using the computer lab.
Need help finding a book for you or your child? Our friendly staff is here to assist you.
Library Tours and Special Programs
Classes and formal organizations are welcome to visit the library for a tour or special program. Please make requests for tours and programs at least two weeks in advance by calling 336-838-2818.
- Someone in the family need homework help? Check out Learning Express Library for help with Math, English, and more!
- Does your child need to research a topic? Check out NCLive for a multitude of sources and Great Websites for Kids for a wonderful selection of websites geared to kids birth to age 14.
- Want to know what is available in Wilkes County for you and your children? Check out Wilkes Kids and take a look here if you find yourself in need of help for your family.