Friends of the Watauga County Library
You may join the Friends of the Library any time for as little as $5 a year for an individual membership, $10 for a family membership, or $2 for youth to 16 years old one. As a member you will be an outstanding supporter of the library, will receive the Friends newsletters with library news, and will be invited to the special Members Only Book Sales prior to sales opening to the public.
The Friends Board of Directors and Officers meet the first Wednesday of announced months in the Evelyn Johnson Meeting Room at the library. The meetings are open to all Friends members. Email WataugaCou[email protected] to ask about the current meeting schedule.
For a form to print and complete to join the Friends of the Library, click here..
Completed forms and annual membership fees may be dropped off at the library circulation desk or mailed to:
Friends of the Watauga County Public Library
140 Queen Street
Boone, NC 28607
We Support ...
- Youth & adult books and media purchases
- The "Reading & Rolling" program which provides books to rural kids during the summer
- Youth & adult supply purchases
- Adult reading programs
- Technology classes
- Visiting writers & other speakers
- The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program
- Youth summer reading programs
- Used Book Sales
Our annual financial gift to the library provides funds in support of programming for children and adults, and other items not covered in the library's regular budget. Funds raised during our book sales are the main source for the Friends' financial support of the library. Volunteers are vital to our book sales' success — collecting, moving, sorting and pricing donated materials is the work behind the scenes while others sell during the sales. Click to learn more about each of our volunteer opportunities.
Donate Gently Used Books, etc.
The Friends collects gently used books, music CDs, movie DVDs, audiobook CDs, puzzles, recent magazines and box games throughout the year. These are sold to the public at nominal prices during periodoic Book Sales and continuously sold in the Book Sale Room near the library's entrance. . Donations may be made any time during library open hours by delivering books to the library circulation desk. Donations of more than 2 boxes may be scheduled by emailing [email protected].
The Friends accepts the following clean, gently used, sellable items:
- Books for adults, teens, and children
- Magazines less than 2 years old
- Computer manuals less than 2 years old
- Audio Books on CD
- Movies on DVD
- Music on CD
- Puzzles and Games (all pieces included)
- Rare or Unique Topic Books
The Friends does not accept:
- Books that are water-damaged, mildewed, warped, dirty, heavily marked/highlighted or that have torn/missing pages/covers
- Magazines more than 2 years old or that are water-damaged, mildewed, warped, or dirty
- Computer manuals more than 2 years old
- Reader's Digest condensed books
- Cassette tapes
- VHS tapes
- Vinyl records
- Reference books (atlas, foreign language & medical dictionaries, religious disciplines, yearbooks, pricing guides for coins, antiques, etc.)
- Fine art books (opera, theater, film, art, museum, etc.)
- Books in foreign languages
The Friends has a Facebook page. Please follow us on Facebook to stay up-to-date on upcoming used book sales; reading and literacy activities; ways to support the library; and donation dates for accepting gently used books, movies on DVD, music on CD, audio books on CD, puzzles, games, and recent magazines. On Facebook, search for Friends of the Watauga County Public Library and like, follow and invite your friends to follow our posts. These are helpful ways to expand who sees our posts and to increase awareness of the organization and what we do and support.
Email: [email protected]