Always check our Facebook page for up to date information.
Don't miss any of the awesome programs available for children at Wilkes County Public Library. Check out our calendar online or stop by the library to pick one up.
Mondays at 11 am
Join Ms. Elizabeth for a Facebook Live video every Monday. She will lead you and the kids through simple crafts. Materials required: crayons, glue, scissors, and paper plate. (Seriously! That's all you need!)
Tuesdays at 11 am
Stop by the library on Tuesday mornings for Story Time! We are reading books and crafting in person. See you then!
Thursdays at 9:30 am
Ms. Elizabeth posts a video on our Facebook page every Thursday of her singing a variety of baby songs and occasionally reading a book or doing a feltboard activity. Check it out!
Second Saturday of each month at 1:30 pm
We are up to some seriously awesome mad scientist stuff! Every month we do some sort of STEM (scientce, tech, engineering, math) activity. Stop by to see what we are doing.
StoryWalks take the joy of reading outdoors! Experience a story as you take a stroll or explore a park. Story boards also contain literacy tips for caregivers. See a story walk in action at Smoot Park in North WIlkesboro, the Fish Dam Creek Park across the dam from the Kerr Scott Dam & Reservoir Visitor Center, and in downtown North Wilkesboro. Learn more by clicking here.
StoryWalks can also be found at various locations in Watauga and Ashe Counties.
NC Kids Digital Library
The NC Kids Digital Library is now available to all library card holders in North Carolina.
Select Appalachian Regional Library and sign in with your library card to get access to:
- more than 19,800 eBooks, 5,200 audiobooks, and 1,100 streaming videos
- 1,600+ titles available at any time with no wait list
Reference Assistance & Readers' Advisory
We are offering one-on-one assistance and we would love to help out over the phone. Please call (336) 838-2818 for more information.
Book a Librarian
We are offering our one-on-one assistance and we would love to help out over the phone or in person. Please call (336) 838-2818 for more information.
Computers are currently available in the Rose Herring Children's Library. There are computers available for use upstairs also. Please call (336)838-2818 for more information.
Kindles and Ebooks for Kids
Our Kindles are designed just for reading, which means your family can lose themselves in a good book rather than become distracted by videos or games. From timeless classics to popular new titles, these books will unleash your child's imagination as they discover their love of reading.
Ask for them at the circulation desk.
Using their StudentAccess cards, Wilkes County Schools students may check out up to 10 books or audiobooks from the library. Titles are checked out for three weeks and can be renewed. Late fees are not charged on Student Access accounts, but you are responsible for lost or damaged books.
Check out our StudentAccess page for more information.
Library Tours and Special Programs
Contact the Youth Services staff at 336-838-2818 ext 231 to schedule a tour for your group. We have resumed some of our special programs. Check out our Facebook page or our online calendar to learn more.
- Need homework help? Check out the LearningExpress Library for help with math, English, test prep, and more!
- Does your child need to research a topic? Check out NCLive for resources from scholarly articles and biographies to how-to videos and local e-books.
- Notable Children's Digital Media lists real-time, dynamic, and interactive media content for children 14 years of age and younger that enables and encourages active engagement and social interaction while informing, educating, and entertaining in exemplary ways.
- Want to know what is available in Wilkes County for you and your children? Check out this list of resources here if you find yourself in need of help for your family.